Saturday, October 10, 2009

Reflections from Home

As I begin writing this, I have been home for five days and I am enjoying every second of it. I love being able to spend time with all my animals, how accessible fresh fruits and vegetables are, spending time with my family. There are, however, some things that are taking some getting used to. For instance, I am still getting used to the fact that showering more than once a week is not an unnecessary luxury, but a common courtesy. I am also having trouble with the concept that you don't wear the same outfit every day of the week. What does surprise me is how quickly I have gone from answering immediately to the name, La Cucaracha, to answering to my given name, Madeline. Maybe that's not so surprising after all. I have been Madeline for 18 years, where as I have only been La Cucaracha for less than 3 months.

I just came from the kitchen where I was surprised to hear What Do You Know on the radio. I had forgotten all about the joys of being able to listen to my favorite NPR programs and I am thoroughly looking forward to doing so. I also have enjoyed listening to music, because while I was able to grab some tunes off of Jonathan's i-pod, (which had only been sent towards the end of my journey), not all the music I wanted to listen to was on there.

Thus far, I really have not begun to miss anything from the trail. A time may come when I will, but so far I have really enjoyed being home. What is strange is being on the receiving end of phone calls from Jonathan. I now know what it is like to have to wait with bated breath to hear news from the trail. I haven't heard a word from Jonathan since I have been home, and I am eagerly anticipating the next phone call. It should be soon. Jonathan should have picked up his package either Friday or Saturday. We're not sure why we haven't heard.

All for now; trail stories and photos from the first part of the journey will be coming later.
Thanks for all the support.

Love,
Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment