Thursday, August 13, 2009

Madeline's Views on Slack Packing

I am all for slack packing; it is a wonderful feeling not to have that heavy weight on your back. Things were going very smoothly until we got lost and I must admit, (even though it would be fairly easy for me to deny the fact even to myself), that being lost in the woods at night, in the fog, is scary. It wasn't the being lost part as I am totally familiar with that feeling, but it was the fact that it was not only dark, but it was also foggy, making it doubly hard to see. I have come up with a good way of describing my feelings. Once when I was very young, (I can't remember my exact age, but I was at the age where all adults are nothing more than a sea of legs), I was walking around the nocturnal house at the zoo. I was having a great time when I pulled on the leg of who I thought was my mom to tell her something, only the person who looked down at me wasn't my mom. I remember the feeling I had then; it was as if my whole world had been turned upside down. That was what it was like when I realized I was no longer on the AT, even the lighting wasn't the same. Tom is a great guy...I know my mom has already written about that, however, I still feel the need to reiterate the point; he is an absolute angel. Thank you all for all your support. I draw strength and endurance from the knowlege that there are so many people who believe in me.
Love
Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment